Tuesday, April 15, 2014

#1 Pork chops with sweet and sour peppers

Like Gordon, my skillet/frying pan is probably my most trusted cooking equipment. A medium size nonstick pan not only reduces the amount of oil in your dishes but is actually vastly versatile. I swear by this awesome pan, if I could only buy one pan, this is the pan for me.

As a matter of fact, it's the only pan I invested on when I first started cooking at my new location.

Today I step up for my first challenge.

#1 Pork chops with sweet and sour peppers




Ingredients.
1 Pork Chop ..........................32NT
1/2 Bell Pepper .......................12NT
1/4 Onion ...............................4NT
Red Wine ................................8NT
White Vinegar .........................1NT
Thyme ....................................3NT
Salt & Pepper ..........................1NT
Basil ........................................13NT
TOTAL: 74NT

I was quite skeptical of the red wine vinaigrette partly because I've never seem to enjoy it at restaurants and also I didn't have easy access to red wine vinegar. This was problematic because I was hoping to learn how to cook without having to spend a fortune. Thus I began looking for a substitute. It seems simple red wine + vinegar = red wine vinegar. Duh.

But as I began browsing the vinegar section... There were rows and rows of different choices: apple, white, rice, wheat, barley, balsamic...the list goes on. Finally I opt for rice vinegar, mainly because it's a common vinegar used for Chinese cuisine and fairly versatile. Then I went in search for a bottle of red wine.

For cooking, I don't think you need a really expensive wine, any will do, although I would probably opt for one that's isn't so sweet next time.

 What really surprised me about watching Gordon cook is I can visualize everything when it's my turn to stand in front of the stove. It's like he's sounding next to me giving out instructions as I go. This really makes me feel from confident and I'm not left going back and forth between my pan and recipe, ultimately making cooking a lot less stressful.

Peppers. Amazing, I have been cutting them wrong all my life, struggling with all the seeds and white fibers inside. Life lessons: never fuss about cutting a pepper nor an orange anymore.

Finally, the final product and thoughts: the first taste of the red wine vinaigrette... My goodness, just amazing.

At the end of the day, the most important lesson I learned from Ramsay is: "Cook with confidence!" 






No comments:

Post a Comment