Monday, April 21, 2014

#4 Sticky lemon chicken

I confess, I don't always stick to the recipes in his ultimate cookery course but also various other ones that I happen to stumble upon, everything he looks just looks so damn delicious and I can't wait to get my hands dirty to try them out.

#4 Sticky lemon chicken


Ingredients.
Drumsticks .....................75NT
Olive oil, soy sauce ..........1NT
1/2 lemon .......................2NT
honey, thyme, parsley ....6NT
Red wine vinegar, salt, pepper
Romaine lettuce ..............12NT
Watermelon ....................20NT
Eggplant .........................4NT
TOTAL: 120 (for two)

Ramsay's original recipe calls for chicken legs, which I realized would be even harder to cook thoroughly, so I decided that a fun replacement would be drumsticks and I think the recipe turned out just fabulous. So far I have NOT been disappointed by any of Ramsay's recipes.

However I was presented with two hurdles.

One, fresh herbs are almost impossible to find in Taiwan, herbs aren't wildly use in traditional Taiwanese cuisine, if a Taiwanese dish calls for herbs, it's usually dry. Luckily, many local gardeners do sell herbs...in little pots. I'm by far the worst person when it comes to plants, I just forget about them, clearly not the one with the green thumb of the family. But now my theory is: I will take care of you if I can eat you!


Took the liberty of a nice warm weekend to gather some fresh herb plants from a huge plant market. They sure come in handy not only flavoring my dishes but also adds a wonderful garnish to my plating.

Two. Taiwan does not have yellow lemons, we only have lime. Once introduced to the yellow lemon, I fell in love! The yellow ones give off this unique sweetness that the greens ones do not. My local wellcome used to import them but lately they're nowhere in sight! I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that they're just out of season and will be brought back again real soon.

Well, I guess the best I can do is just sub lemon with lime every time a Ramsay recipe calls for them until I can get my hands on some.

In terms of the final dish, which I paired with grilled eggplants and a watermelon salad. The chicken is delicious, fragrant, and not too sweet. However, I realized I still not very good at telling when the chicken is just well-done. I'm always afraid to dry it out and instead I end up under-cooking it...This is quite embarrassing if you're planning on serving this dish to someone else. Although strictly speaking, you can just pop it right back into the pan and cook it for several more minutes. Perfection will come with experience? I sure hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment